Wednesday, February 25, 2009

podcasting

Podcasting allows individuals to select audio content to be downloaded as desired.  Podcasts can be stored on the computer or portable devices such as iPods or mP3 players. Podcasting is a general term that encompasses both audio and visual content that is portable and accessible anytime, anywhere. Throughout the last two weeks I have learned that podcasting has more potential in my classroom than I had originally thought. Podcasting has its place in education as it can allow students to access:
  1. Audiobooks
  2. News
  3. missed lessons
  4. tutorials
  5. personal information
  6. music 
In my classroom, I use podcasting as a way to increase reading fluency in a creative way. Students collaborate to share poems. Students map out who speaks and when, what sound effects will be included and when, how to create the audio effect, and in some cases, what video and graphics to add. I also use audiobooks on iPods for as a literacy station during my guided reading groups, and my students LOVE it.    When I need supplemental materials to enhance or teach a lesson, I often search for a Vodcast or Podcast for the lesson.

These past few weeks have also made me begin to wonder about the structure of our current educational system.  If there is this much information that is portable and available on-demand, the radical change to the educational system seems appropriate, and possibly more economic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment