Saturday, February 7, 2009

self reflection: web 2.0

Throughout the past two weeks, I have learned about many ways educators have integrated web 2.0 tools into existing curriculums.  I am excited to report, that through collaboration and personal research, I have discovered how to enhance technology use in my own classroom.  

An overwhelming theme that appeared throughout this discussion, was the frustration of managed computers.  I am fortunate to be the administrator on all of the machines in our building, so I can freely download applications when needed.  I have not always been in this position, however, so I can understand the frustration level of educators who find quality tools, but then get hateful message declaring the lack of administrative rights.  

I have mixed feelings about managed machines.  On one hand, not all teachers are at the same level of proficiency, and by giving them rights, they may not always know what they are doing.  This has happened recently with some printer drivers, and it has increased my workload because I am backtracking to fix the mistakes of others (this frustration is enhanced because with many of the teachers I work with, they are not learning from their mistakes because they aren't the ones fixing the problem).  Also, managed machines ensure that updates happen as they should, keeping machines running properly.  Lastly, I have been put into situations where teachers have requested I load software on multiple machines and, thus, violating copyright laws.  I feel like the Gestapo when I tell people when and where they can load software on their machines.  More often than not, I am the "bad guy".    I can understand and sympathize how managed machines make life maddening for many educators, and disregards professional judgement in many cases; however, I also believe that everything, including computers need a system of checks and balances.  

1 comment:

  1. It must be frustrating to work with teachers who are not trying to learn how to use technology. I have seen teachers like this. I think of them as bobble heads. With each mistake, they just keep bouncing back and making the same mistakes over and over again. You would think they would get a headache!

    ReplyDelete